5 Liposuction Dos & Don’ts
Liposuction is an excellent choice for patients looking to smooth problem areas and take their bodies to the next level. Genetics can play a large role in determining both men’s and women’s body shape and how our bodies respond to diet and exercise. While regular exercise and a healthy diet are always the first line of defense in keeping the body in prime condition, there are instances when no amount of physical effort or the most strict diet will get the job done. For patients who find themselves in this situation, our liposuction procedures can be an extremely effective solution.
After the age of 30, the metabolism in both men and women begins to slow down, which often leads to increased fat deposits around the abdomen, hips, and thighs. These new deposits tend to be resistant to normal diet and exercise. Fat deposits can build up in women post-pregnancy and can be equally stubborn. The St. Louis Laser Liposuction Center team is comprised of highly skilled liposuction experts in treating any area, from the arms, abs, and hips, all the way down to the legs, knees, calves, and ankles. Whatever area you’re struggling with, we’ve got you covered.
Traditional vs. Tumescent Liposuction
While traditional liposuction is a viable option for patients looking to remove stubborn fat deposits and contour the body, more patients lean towards options like tumescent liposuction for less invasive but equally successful liposuction results. Patients who choose tumescent liposuction receive an injection of local anesthetic and epinephrine, which targets the treatment area. Rather than using general anesthesia, the patient is fully conscious as the tumescent solution causes both swelling and firming of the treatment area, numbing them along the way. This allows the physician to remove fat deposits more easily and with more precision, resulting in less bleeding and generally provides a quicker recovery time.
Tumescent liposuction is performed as an outpatient procedure rather than traditional liposuction which requires an overnight hospital stay. Patients can expect to leave the office unassisted the same day as the procedure and can resume normal activities within 24-48 hours following the treatment. We will walk you through each step of liposuction recovery and help you toward your ultimate goal.
Fat deposits that are removed by liposuction are permanently gone. However, it’s important for patients to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen during and after liposuction recovery. This helps them maintain the physique they’ve achieved. In general, patients who’ve undergone liposuction see a minimal reappearance of fat deposits in the areas that have been treated. This even applies to those patients that are susceptible to weight gain.
Beginning the liposuction treatment journey can be overwhelming, but the Laser Liposuction and Vein Center is here to help patients understand what to expect. Contact our office for a consultation, and our team will guide you through starting the treatment process and walk you through every step along the way. The journey towards your dream body is closer than you think – starting with some helpful Dos and Don’ts of Liposuction treatment.
1. DO Your Research Ahead of Time
If you’re reading this article, you’re on the right track! There’s nothing more important than researching your options and finding a surgeon who is a liposuction expert you can trust. Your results will only be as good as the person providing your treatment, and nothing is more important than partnering with someone you trust to keep you healthy and safe through the procedure and recovery. Make sure you have the opportunity to discuss your questions, concerns, treatment options, and recovery steps with your chosen provider ahead of time so that you avoid any surprises and can be sure you’ll be satisfied with the end result.
2. DO Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle of Diet & Exercise Before & After Treatment
In order to optimize your liposuction treatment results and to recover as quickly and painlessly as possible, it’s important to have already adopted a regular routine of exercise and healthy eating. Liposuction is not intended to be a weight loss solution; in fact, the best results from liposuction are in treating stubborn problem areas that haven’t been responsive to a healthy lifestyle already. Patients are typically already at (or close to) their goal weight and are undergoing treatment for unshakable trouble stops. After your procedure, maintaining this routine is even more important to maintain your results!
Typical Treatment Areas for Stubborn Fat
Examples of a Health Lifestyle
- Healthy Meals: Filling your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins is key. Try to limit carb-heavy foods, processed meals and snacks, and eliminate sugar-heavy items.
- Hydration: DRINK TONS OF WATER – at least 2 liters a day. There’s no way to exaggerate how important your water intake is for a healthy lifestyle. Not only does staying hydrating help curb cravings and boost brain activity, but it is key in regulating your temperature, digesting food, and absorbing nutrients.
- Exercise: Find a routine that works for you! It’s recommended to have at least 30 minutes of exercise per day on average, and finding a combination of strength training for your muscle health and more rigorous aerobic activity for your heart is ideal.
3. DO Follow Your Surgeon’s Post-Op Instructions
Your surgeon will provide an outlined guide for what you should expect in the days and weeks after your liposuction procedure. It’s extremely important to follow these instructions carefully and exactly to ensure you recover well and with the desired results. This is the perfect topic to make sure you understand fully and should ask questions ahead of time so that you know what to expect and understand what will be required of you and those helping you through recovery.
Examples of Post-Op Care
- Compression Garments: It is critical to keep skin compressed and help it “ learn “ its new shape after your surgery. Your surgeon will apply a compression garment at the end of the surgery, and patients should regularly be wearing compression garments to stimulate healthy blood and lymphatic flow. Compression helps control the swelling and aids proper healing, and will help make sure you don’t bruise too much!
- Reduced Activity: Take it easy on your body in the first few days and weeks following liposuction. Don’t lift any heavy objects or run back to the gym right away. You should be resting and letting your body heal, and making sure you’re staying hydrated throughout.
4. DON’T Expect Immediate Results
Generally, during the two days immediately after liposuction, the amount of pain experienced will depend on the type of anesthesia used for liposuction. Local anesthesia used for tumescent liposuction can last up to 24 hours after surgery, for a less painful post-op experience.
After tumescent liposuction procedures, the local anesthesia used will last for 12 to 24 hours and patients typically feel discomfort and soreness in the treatment area. In the next two days, the pain is usually described as muscle soreness or a sunburn. Mild to moderate pain in the treatment area tends to last for 7-10 days, with swelling and bruising lasting through this same window. Swelling should subside and permanent results and be seen in the coming weeks with final results seen by about week 6, though this depends on the patient and the treated area.
5. DON’T Wait To Get Your Ideal Body
If you’ve put in the work to get your body where you want it to be, but you’re still struggling with certain areas, it might be time to think about your other options! While diet and exercise will take you most of the way, liposuction can get you through that last mile so that you can truly enjoy the hard work and dedication you’ve given yourself. Contact our office today to discuss your options for taking the first step towards your dream body!