Nearly everyone who has ever been a teenager remembers the shame and embarrassment of acne breakouts before every big event. First dates, that big party, even prom night did not go unscathed; acne was an equal opportunity “party crasher!” Fortunately for many, acne outbreaks ended with high school and didn’t leave much scarring behind. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case. For a large segment of the population, acne breakouts continue long into adulthood and can be severe enough to leave the sufferers with intensive scarring, pitting, and discoloration. Today, medical advancements have provided treatments for acne sufferers, both preventative and restorative, allowing the nightmares and embarrassment of acne to be left far behind. Furthermore, our St. Louis acne treatments are sure to help acne sufferers everywhere improve on their skin quality, and face life with a clear face!
What is Acne?
Contrary to what some people may believe, acne is not a contagious disease. It occurs when the pilosebaceous glands become inflamed or infected, resulting in red pimples that appear on the face or other parts of the body. Acne can present in three different ways: comedonal acne, inflammatory acne, and cystic acne. The differences between each type are as follows:
• Comedonal Acne – This, the mildest form of acne, is characterized by the appearance of black heads and whiteheads and appears most often on the forehead, the nose, or even on the chin.
• Inflammatory Acne – Plugged pores can be the cause of this acne type, which presents itself in the form of inflamed and red papules (a red pimple that does not produce pus) and/or pustules (an inflamed pimple that DOES produce pus).
• Cystic Acne – Of the three varieties, cystic acne is the most serious form of acne, one that isn’t just unsightly in appearance, but can be extremely painful to the sufferer. Resulting from infection, this version of acne can lead to intensive scarring that is both deforming and disfiguring.
The patient may only develop one type, or can manifest all three. If you have a family history of acne or a tendency towards an overproduction of oil and bacteria, you probably will develop acne.
Three Types of St. Louis Acne Treatments
• Chemical Peels – Useful in dealing with all three types of acne, a chemical peel uses a solution specifically designed for acne to “peel away” fine layers of skin and debris that may be clogged in the pores.
• Blue Light – A UV spectrum blue light is used to kill bacteria that lies beneath the skin (P. acnes bacteria) and help reduce inflammation.
• Acne Extraction – Using sterile tools to “pop” the pimples and extract blackheads, extraction is a great treatment for all forms of acne and can be especially helpful in draining the cysts of cystic acne and relieving the pain.
St. Louis Dermatology and St. Louis Acne Treatment Center
Living with unsightly acne, and the disfigurement associated with the worst types, is no longer necessary. Schedule an appointment with the Laser Liposuction Center and discover what we can do for you! Contact us today for more information about St. Louis acne treatments!